You wash your hair, you condition your hair and maybe you even deep condition it on occasion. So do you really need a leave-in conditioner too?
When you think about all the abuse our hair generally takes, the answer is an emphatic “yes!” And it’s just not heat styling, bleaching and coloring that does the damage. Just the simple act of brushing can hurt hair that’s not well-moisturized.
Other sneaky factors? Towel drying, rough pillowcases and the sun. Yes, it seems as though the whole world is out to damage your locks!
That’s why a good leave-in conditioner is your hair’s best friend and bodyguard. A good one will not only protect your hair but leave it smoother, shinier and healthier.
Of course, no two heads are alike, and they often have different needs. Fine hair will need something light while coily hair does well with thick creams and butters. Colored or bleached hair often needs damage repair.
Then there’s the frizz factor. Something we can all use help with!
To help hook your particular hair type up with the right leave-in conditioner, we’ve gathered up 31 of the best products for all types of tresses. So whether your hair is straight, wavy, curly, fine, thick or kinky, we’ve got something for you to help your hair look great!
Read on to find the leave-in conditioners that will help you nourish a healthier mop and promote more good hair days!
1. Ouidad Moisture Lock (Wavy Hair)
If you’re a wavy girl, you’ll love this lightweight leave-in conditioner from the curl tamers at Ouidad. It will give you the definition you want and protect your hair from humidity without weighing down your gorgeous locks. Wave to go!
2. Sachajuan Leave-in Conditioner (Fine Hair)
If you’re afraid a leave-in conditioner will weigh your hair down, think again. This super lightweight formula with marine extracts helps with breakage and manageability without leaving your hair greasy. Plus the smell is simply gorg!
It’s everything you want with less weight.
As any curly girl knows (or ought to), moisture is the key to rocking your best locks. With nurturing shea butter and castor oil, this formula works great for thicker and tighter curl patterns and will help to fight frizz and breakage.
Give those curls a little love, and they will definitely love you back!
4. Living Proof No Frizz Leave-in Conditioner (All Hair Types)
Most of us have suffered from frizz at some point or other. So when the weather gets tough, this Living Proof No Frizz Leave-in Conditioner is your go-to leave-in. Use it on humid days, and it will keep even your air-dried locks more polished.
5. It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product (All Hair Types)
This cult-favorite smooths, detangles, adds shine, protects your color and shields your hair from heat when you’re styling it. No wonder they call it a miracle! Apply it to damp hair or even on dry locks that are crying out for help.
It’s kind of like the patron saint of hair.
6. Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Leave-in Spray (All Thirsty Hair Types)
If you prefer a natural approach to hair care, you’ll appreciate this hydrating mix of coconut, rosehip and argan oil from Briogeo. And because it’s lightweight and non-greasy, it’ll keep your hair from looking like a flop.
Another plus? It also helps to prevent UV damage. Say good-bye to straw head and hello to luscious locks!
Related: How to Avoid Getting Razor Bumps
7. Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In Conditioner (All Textured Hair Types)
This well-loved leave-in spray boasts 25 benefits, including adding shine, controlling flyaways, detangling and repairing damage. And while fennel seed and coconut oil make it super hydrating, it’s still lightweight enough for any hair type.
No wonder it seems like a miracle for wavy, curly and coily hair!
8. Ouai Leave-in Conditioner (Wavy Hair)
Spray this cult favorite on damp hair to detangle, fight frizz and hydrate your mane. Your hair will come out looking smooth and gorgeous and the scent (with notes of bergamot, rose de mai, magnolia and sandalwood) will make you want to bury your nose in your own hair and take a deep, luscious breath.
9. IGK Thirsty Girl Coconut Milk Leave-in Conditioner (Dry Hair of All Types)
You’ve probably heard that hyaluronic acid is great for your skin, but did you know it also can work miracles for your hair? The patented technology in this spray forms a rich moisture barrier to protect your locks from pollutants and humidity.
It also nourishes, fights frizz and helps to prevent breakage. Thank goodness for the miracle of hair science!
10. Mielle Pomegranate & Honey Leave-in Conditioner (Tight Coils)
This all-natural leave-in has gotten major praise from the coily-haired community. With babassu and buriti oil, it’s super moisturizing and also helps with detangling. Try it for your next twist out and discover what all the noise is about.
11. Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream (Medium to Thick or Extra Long Hair)
If you’re obsessed with your hair and with blowouts, this high-gloss leave-in cream will help you to calm frizz, elevate your shine and leave your locks super smooth with this Supershine Moisturizing Cream from Oribe. It’s the luxury your hair deserves.
12. Grow Gorgeous Volume Bodifying Leave-in Serum (Fine Hair)
Fine hair can be so finicky. It needs something to plump it up, but that won’t weigh it down. With pea peptides and amino acids, this serum from Grow Gorgeous will give your hair the extra oomph and moisture it needs without leaving it greasy or just plain sad looking.
It’s just the hair (and ego) boost you need!
13. Leonor Greyl Tonique Hydratant Leave In Mist (Fragile Hair)
If you have dull, fragile hair you may need more than hydration. This strengthening formula contains amino acids, collagen and seaweed extracts to bring your hair back to life and leave it stronger, smoother and totally touchable.
Protein to the rescue!
14. Davines All In One Milk Lotion (All Hair Types)
When it comes to great ingredients for your mane, argan oil isn't the only game in town. This milky leave-in ups your shine with Roucou oil, another hair hero. Use it regularly and you can expect softer, glossier locks with less frizz and more power to turn heads.
15. Olaplex No.6 (Damaged Hair)
Love to color your hair, but hate the damage it leaves you with? Good news! The revolutionary Olaplex brand now has an at-home fix that strengthens your locks and eliminates frizz and dryness. It’s like your own little salon in a bottle!
16. Pureology Colour Fanatic (Color-Treated Hair)
If you’ve invested all that expendable cash on your highlights, you should also invest in something to protect them. Colour Fanatic will moisturize your hair while never stripping its color.
It also prevents tangles, protects from heat damage and leaves your color with a gorgeous gloss. Your hair will definitely be ready for its closeup!
17. Pantene Smoothing Combing Cream (All Hair Types)
Looking for a leave-in that will tame the frizz without breaking the bank? Then you’ll want to get your hands on this leave-in cream to moisturize and detangle your tresses.
And PS: If it’s good enough for Gwen Stefani, it’s good enough for you!
18. Noughty Thirst Aid Conditioning and Detangling Spray (Frizzy, Damaged Hair)
Split ends, breakage and tangles are all signs that your hair is thirsty for moisture. This 97% natural, silicone-free formula with shea butter, argan oil and sweet almond extract will drench your tresses without weighing them down.
Get ready for a hair flip with softer, shinier locks!
19. Virtue Purifying Leave-in Conditioner (Brittle Hair)
Okay, so your locks aren’t exactly what they used to be. But with the science behind this formula, you expect a serious hair rescue remedy. It’s actually the first leave-in with alpha keratin 60ku, keratin that comes from actual human hair!
It penetrates your strands to repair weakened follicles and also prevents flyaways, protects from environmental damage and makes your mane easier to manage. We told you this was serious stuff!
20. Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper Original (Wavy to Curly Hair)
If you’re looking to promote gorgeous, frizz-free curls, this is one of those holy grail products that curly girls swear by. It will give your hair more definition and volume and protect it from humidity.
And because this is a water-based formula, you can use it every day without worrying about buildup. To reactivate it on non-wash days, just spray it with water. Try it and you’re very likely to become a convert!
21. Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture CC Cream (Damaged Hair)
Caviar is packed with vitamins, minerals and omega fatty acids that are a godsend for overworked and underperforming locks. Work the Alterna Caviar into your hair to repair damage, cut down on breakage and give your hair the touchable softness we all long for.
22. Aveda Nutriplenish Leave-in Conditioner (Fine, Wavy Hair)
Fine, wavy hair can be one of the most difficult types to manage. To look your best, you’ll need something to moisturize it and tame the frizz without making it look...well...blah!
Luckily, you only need a few pumps of this spray to hydrate your locks and banish those flyaways. Which means your bottle will also last a long time. Sounds like a great investment to us!
23. Girl + Hair Nourishing Leave-in Conditioner for Curly Hair (Dry, Curly Hair)
If your curls and scalp need some extra love, this leave-in is for you. The nozzle will help you get right down to your roots ad nourish them with shea butter, neem oil and tea tree oil.
It will leave your curls bouncier and your scalp a lot less dry and itchy. Think of it as a non-head scratcher.
24. Amika Supernova Blonde Violet Moisture and Shine Cream (Blonde Hair)
Is your blonde hair starting to look brassy? Then you’ll want to try this leave-in from Amika to hydrate your hair, tame frizz, boost your shine and tone down those brassy hues. Before you know it, you’ll be having just as much fun as blondes usually do.
25. Tigi Bed Head Ego Boost (All Damaged Hair Types)
You’ll only need a few pumps of this lightweight leave-in to tame frizz and repair your abused locks. Whether your hair is thick, fine, straight or curly, it will help it look smoother and softer. And it never leaves a sticky residue!
Now that’s a boost we can all use!
26. Kinky-Curly Knot Today (Thick Curls)
This creamy herbal conditioner and detangler is great for smoothing the cuticle and removing knots and snarls. And while straight or wavy-haired people may want to use it as a regular rinse-out conditioner, those with thicker curls can use it as a leave-in.
This is an especially great product to use after removing braids or extensions!
27. Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-in Conditioner (All Hair Types)
Lovers of this amazing leave-in refer to it as “liquid gold.” This all-natural formula with lemongrass oil, aloe vera juice and silk amino acids is a true powerhouse when it comes to your hair.
It’s able to penetrate deep into the cortex to lock in moisture, strengthen hair follicles, repair damage and promote shinier, healthier hair. And as if that wasn’t enough, it also smells amazing.
No wonder it has so many fans!
28. Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream (Wavy Hair)
Hair fanatics with a looser curl pattern and appreciation for natural beauty will love this creamy activator formulated without harsh ingredients.
Shea butter will help you define your waves and leave them bouncy, shiny and frizz-free just as mother nature intended!
Rhea Henry, Content Strategist at Rank-It, adds, “As a naturalista, I've spent a lot of money trying out different products for my natural hair. I find that the best leave-in has been the Cantu Shea Butter leave-in conditioner. It has a thick, creamy texture and allows the hair to have a nice slip to it so it can be gently brushed through.”
29. Melanin Twist Elongating Styling Cream (Coily Hair)
If you have tight coils that you live to twist out, you need this styling cream in your product arsenal. The nutrient-rich formula contains shea butter, mango butter, cocoa butter, kokum butter and cupuacu butter to hydrate, repair and detangle your hair instantly.
In short, butter makes everything better!
30. Ecoco Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel With Olive Oil (All Hair Types)
So can a gel actually condition your hair? It can if it’s made from 100% pure olive oil! It helps to regulate your scalps natural hydration system by attracting moisture and holding it in.
This alcohol-free formula will also help tame frizz, repair your damaged strands and give you extra shine. And did we mention it also guards your locks against UV rays? Yep, this gel has it going on!
31. Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter (Thick, Coarse Hair)
Need something to help you manage that abundant mane of yours? This botanical blend of oils and butters will help you moisturize and tame your locks for a softer, smoother feel. But the benefits don’t stop there: it’s also great for nourishing your scalp and stimulating growth.
Soon you and your hair will be ready to take on the world!
Well, that’s our roundup, hair fanatics. Hopefully, you’ve found the perfect match for you and your tresses.
Remember, be good to your hair and it will be good to you!
From conditioning sprays to powders and cremes, there is something out there for everyone that fits every budget from drugstore to high-end hair products.
Don't forget to use a heat protection if you are planning to blow dry or use a straightener or a curling iron on your hair! If your hairstylist hasn't told you by now, using a heat protectant leads to healthy hair.
Now get out there and flip your best hair with confidence!
You might also be interested in: The 23 Best Skincare Subscription Boxes for Men and Women [For All Skin Types]
The 31 Best Leave-In Conditioners [For All Hair Types]:
- Ouidad Moisture Lock (Wavy Hair)
- Sachajuan Leave-in Conditioner
- SheaMoisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Leave-in Conditioner (Tight Curls)
- Living Proof No Frizz Leave-in Conditioner
- It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-in Product (All Hair Types)
- Briogeo Rosarco Milk Reparative Leave-in Spray (All Thirsty Hair Types)
- Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In Conditioner (All Textured Hair Types)
- Ouai Leave-in Conditioner (Wavy Hair)
- IGK Thirsty Girl Coconut Milk Leave-in Conditioner (Dry Hair of All Types)
- Mielle Pomegranate & Honey Leave-in Conditioner (Tight Coils)
- Oribe Supershine Moisturizing Cream (Medium to Thick or Extra Long Hair)
- Grow Gorgeous Volume Bodifying Leave-in Serum (Fine Hair)
- Leonor Greyl Tonique Hydratant Leave In Mist (Fragile Hair)
- Davines All In One Milk Lotion (All Hair Types)
- Olaplex No.6 (Damaged Hair)
- Pureology Colour Fanatic (Color-Treated Hair)
- Pantene Smoothing Combing Cream (All Hair Types)
- Noughty Thirst Aid Conditioning and Detangling Spray (Frizzy, Damaged Hair)
- Virtue Purifying Leave-in Conditioner (Brittle Hair)
- Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper Original (Wavy to Curly Hair)
- Alterna Haircare Caviar Anti-Aging Replenishing Moisture CC Cream (Damaged Hair)
- Aveda Nutriplenish Leave-in Conditioner (Fine, Wavy Hair)
- Girl + Hair Nourishing Leave-in Conditioner for Curly Hair (Dry, Curly Hair)
- Amika Supernova Blonde Violet Moisture and Shine Cream (Blonde Hair)
- Tigi Bed Head Ego Boost (All Damaged Hair Types)
- Kinky-Curly Knot Today (Thick Curls)
- Alikay Naturals Lemongrass Leave-in Conditioner (All Hair Types)
- Cantu Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream (Wavy Hair)
- Melanin Twist Elongating Styling Cream (Coily Hair)
- Ecoco Eco Styler Professional Styling Gel With Olive Oil (All Hair Types)
- Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter (Thick, Coarse Hair)