This article was written by a guest contributor. For guest contribution guidelines, please visit this page.
Alexandra Doherty is a pet lover and a proficient content writer with comprehensive experience of 8+ years in the CBD vertical. She is trying to apply her CBD knowledge to the wellness of pets. She has covered almost all the aspects of Cannabis, CBD, and related matters.
Research has made the benefits that cannabidiol provides humans clear, but what about its effects on pets? Are you aware that hemp extracts can help your disabled pet, the same way it helps struggling patients worldwide?
Over the years, marijuana and products derived from hemp have gained popularity, owing to their medicinal and therapeutic benefits. Most of these properties extend to pets, making such products a God-given gift, not just to humans but also for animals. However, there are several factors that pet owners need to consider before choosing a CBD-infused product.
Here’s a look at everything you need to know before you buy CBD hemp oil for pets.
What is Cannabidiol?
Cannabidiol, popularly known as CBD, is one of over a hundred and eight cannabinoids found in the Cannabis Sativa plant. It offers a host of medicinal benefits to users without producing mind-altering or hallucinogenic effects. However, tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is a distant cousin of CBD that possesses psychoactive properties. As a result, products infused with milder hemp extract tend to be primarily legal and safe for application in the US. Such products offer therapeutic benefits to not only humans but also animals.
Most people use these hemp extracts to reduce pain, inflammation, muscle soreness and combat insomnia. Additionally, these products also help treat depression and anxiety by calming our nerves and helping us relax. Since these extracts come from organic and natural substances, they tend to be milder and produce few, if any, adverse side effects. However, most of the over-the-counter drugs used to treat such ailments have far-reaching consequences on our health. As a result, more and more people worldwide are switching to the more natural alternative.
Can CBD Products Help Animals?
Cannabinoids work by interacting with our body’s natural endocannabinoid system, better known as the ECS. The ECS is accountable for regulating the production of various hormones, managing our moods and sleep cycles. Essentially, the ECS helps maintain the body’s homeostasis, which enables it to remain in perfect balance or equilibrium. Studies have shown that all mammals possess the same physiology when it comes to cannabinoid receptors. As a result of this, all mammals can benefit from the properties of cannabis-derived treatments. Luckily, this also includes our dear friends at home, whether they be dogs or cats! Some of the functions that the ECS helps manage and regulate are as follows:
- Immune response
- Skin health
- Allergic reactions
Hence, products laced with hemp extracts can offer several potential benefits for our furry friends at home. Several studies and anecdotal evidence verify the claims surrounding the benefits of such compounds. The emergence of such research has led to the market surrounding cannabis pet products explode. Hence, pet owners can now choose between CBD tinctures, oils, dog treats, chew toys, gums and pills. However, consumers need to ensure they research the manufacturers of such products before purchase to ensure efficacy. Let us now take a closer look at how such products can help our disabled pets.
Benefits of Hemp Products for Pets
- Analgesic: One of the most significant benefits of marijuana is that it acts as a natural pain reliever, thanks to its analgesic properties. The ECS is responsible for pain control and sensing, allowing the cannabinoids to ease aching wounds and discomfort felt by pets. Most vets prescribe powerful nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to combat inflammation in pets. However, recent studies have shown that such medicines can compromise the immune response of aging dogs, leading to a search for a better alternative. Additionally, such drugs also cause gastrointestinal problems and harm the livers and kidneys.
- Antiepileptic properties: The first FDA-approved drug that contained cannabidiol helped with treating epilepsy. Hence, it is easy to see how effective the extract is in treating seizures, epilepsies, nervous tics and spasms. CBD can function as a muscle relaxant, helping ease muscle spasms and tics that older pets might be struggling with daily.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Hemp extracts have the power to reduce both chronic and acute inflammation, which can help relieve pain and discomfort. Inflammation flares up as our body’s immune system trying to fight an external attack. In some instances, our body mistakes its cells and tissues as external threats, leading to severe pain and swelling. Cannabinoids can interact with immune cell receptors, helping soothe such swelling in pets. By activating CB2 receptors in our brain, such a product can elicit our body’s immune response to fight inflammation and pain.
- Stress Relief: Disabled pets often have extreme anxiety and stress, leading to a lack of appetite, energy, and several other issues. Products laced with hemp extracts can prevent pets from getting worked up with stress and tension. It works as the perfect stress relief by relaxing your furry friend and reducing anxiety. Such products are also an excellent option for animals that suffer from separation anxiety.
- Antiemetic: Certain pets might have chronic conditions requiring high potency medicines. Several such drugs cause nausea and vomiting that create massive discomfort to animals. Cannabidiol possesses antiemetic properties that help in soothing upset stomachs and nausea.
- Anticancer drug: Several studies have shown that hemp and marijuana extracts have the power to inhibit the growth of cancerous tumors. Hence, these products can help provide relief to animals suffering from various cancers. Additionally, such products also help alleviate the symptoms of chemotherapy, helping your pets maintain their quality of life.
- Better Gut Health: Research has concluded that hemp extracts have the power to promote better digestive health. By interacting with receptors that manage and regulate hormone production, they can help improve appetites and gut health. They also interact with the 5-Ht1 receptor to prevent nausea and vomiting.
- Healthy Skin: If your pets suffer from skin conditions of varying kinds, using topical CBD products might be the perfect solution. Cannabidiol has anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing the skin and preventing flare-ups. It also has anti-oxidative properties that help control free radical damage and treat dry skin.
- Mobility: If your pet suffers from arthritis, reduced mobility due to joint pain, or hip dysplasia, then CBD supplements might provide some relief. Since these supplements offer anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, they can work wonders on several types of mobility issues. By reducing joint pain and swelling, they can make it easier for your pet to move around and live a quality life.
- Improved mood: A disabled pet may be struggling in ways we cannot fathom, and that can lead to them being sad and depressed. Nothing hurts more than watching your furry friend limp through life, weary and tired. Hemp products activate brain receptors and neurotransmitters that improve your pet’s mood, making them more alert and happy.
If that wasn’t enough, these products are safe for extended use due to their natural and organic processing methodologies. While most over-the-counter drugs used to manage pain and inflammation can cause far-reaching issues, these have little to no adverse side effects. Some of the negative side effects of opioids include drug dependency, the danger of overdose, anxiety, and long-term liver damage. However, cannabidiol provides the same benefits, with none of the same adverse reactions. As a result, pet owners can continue using such products for extended periods to help their pets sustain their quality of life.
How to Effectively Use Hemp Products on Pets
Thanks to the growth of the cannabis industry, our furry friends can enjoy a plethora of products and supplements that help them lead a better life. If your pet suffers from chronic pain, reduced mobility, disability, or ailment of any kind, you might be able to help them using hemp-infused products. However, you must first consult a vet regarding what will suit your pet. Additionally, research the products online to make sure they use the best products and contain no toxins or chemicals.
Like any other product, not all supplements and topical products that contain cannabidiol offer the same quality of benefits. Hence, consumers need to make sure they buy products that address the specific needs of their pets by going through all the active ingredients in the product. Hemp oil, when extracted from natural, organic marijuana or hemp, can provide several health benefits to your pet friends.
Some of the factors you need to consider when choosing a product are as follows:
- Always opt for products made using naturally and organically grown American hemp to ensure higher quality and potency.
- Check the product for dosage recommendations and strength. Next, pet owners must talk to their veterinarian to confirm the starting dose.
- It is always better to start with a small quantity, monitor your pet’s progress, and then increase the dosage as and when required.
- Check for Certificate of Analysis for the product online to learn more about its active ingredients and the extraction processes utilized.
- Always ensure that the product you purchase has passed all tests regarding toxins, chemicals, heavy metals, molds, and pesticides.
- Additionally, full-spectrum products might offer higher benefits than broad-spectrum or CBD isolates due to the presence of additional terpenes. However, make sure you run the product by your vet to ensure it is safe for your dog or cat.
- Avoid products that contain more than 0.3% THC as this substance can be toxic to several pets in higher quantities. Hence, try to go for products made using hemp, as that strain of cannabis has lower concentrations of THC.
Pets add certain brevity and softness to our lives that few other things have the power to do. However, it is difficult to watch as your furry friend struggles with aging and other complications. All pet owners wish to do everything in their power to make the lives of their pets a little easier. In the past, this was a tricky proposition as most drugs had severe side effects that worsened issues. However, the emergence of cannabinoids has helped make things easier and more straightforward.
Pet owners now have the option of treating their pets without compromising their quality of life. However, the consumer should make sure they read up on companies before making purchases to ensure they get the best products. Not only must they check for test reports and third-party test analysis, but they must also check with a vet before prescribing anything to their pets. Isn’t it great to know that pet owners can now provide their furry friends with a better life?
You might also be interested in: An Introduction to CBD For Your Pet [What You Need To Know]