This is a sponsored article. For sponsored contribution guidelines, please visit this page.
First impressions are everything, and this is undoubtedly true when it comes to online dating. The online dating atmosphere tends to be very “swipe right or swipe left,” meaning the decision to interact with someone (or not) is often made in an instant.
Because of this, you’ll need to put a lot of effort into your profile if you want to attract a large number of matches. Fortunately, we’ve gathered a list of ten tips to help you improve your profile and meet more singles for casual dating or serious relationships.
Read on if you’re ready to start making more matches!
10 Must-Do’s to Get the Most Matches Online
These ten tips are designed to work with any online dating platform, so whether you’re using a dating website or a dedicated dating app, you’re sure to meet more attractive singles online if you follow these tips. Let’s get started!
- Use Your Real Name. You can use your full name if you want or just stick to your first name if you wish. That doesn’t matter as much; it’s up to personal preferences & the settings of the site you’re using. What’s important is using your real name—having a profile that says “Alexandria” then having to explain that your name is actually “Brandy” may not go over well with a new match.
- Include an Accurate Age. People can be picky, and this often extends over to their age preferences. It’s important to include your actual age, not just choose one that’s close. Obviously, this will create issues later on if your online relationship blossoms into something more, but it’s also part of your first impression. Lying to a person straight off the bat will not help build trust, which is crucial in any relationship.
- Pick the Perfect Profile Picture. Chances are, you’ve probably swiped left on an attractive person just because their profile picture didn’t paint them in the perfect light. Unfortunately, most people don’t take the time to look through a person’s gallery if the first picture doesn’t instantly catch their eye, so make sure that your profile picture is the best photo on your page!
- Upload Additional Photos. If someone likes your profile photo, then they’re going to want to see more. You should definitely give it to them! Additional images provide an easy way to showcase your personality, so choose interesting photos. Some sites may only allow you to post photos of yourself (which means no shots with friends!) so take that into account when choosing your pictures.
- Write an Original Heading. Although not every site allows you to add a header to your account, you’ll definitely want to put some time into writing one if the site allows you so. Avoid basic and cliché headlines like “Looking for love!” or “DM me!”. Instead, write something original that makes people want to learn more about you, like “Avid skier, frequent flyer and total couch potato—all-in-one!”.
- Perfect Your “About Me” Section. If someone is taking the time to read this, then they really want to learn more about you. This section is a great place to describe yourself (including your personality, partner preferences, social life, hobbies, and other relevant information). However, you don’t want to give it all away! We recommend ending your “About Me” section with a question or two – what fashion trends your potential partner prefers or what music do they listen to; these can make the perfect conversation starters later on!
- Promote Yourself. Unless something is a critical piece of information that any potential partner would need to know, you should avoid saying anything negative (or even neutral) about yourself on your profile. You’re trying to make yourself seem as close to perfect as possible, so (for a moment) think of yourself as a product. How would you sell yourself? Approach your profile from this angle.
- Set Clear Expectations. Do you have any limitations? Types of relationships you’re interested in? Types you’re not? Although it’s important to make yourself look great, you also need to set clear expectations from the start. This doesn’t need to be a long section, but you should clearly establish what you’re looking for in a potential partner so you don’t match with someone who’s looking for something entirely different.
- Complete Your Entire Profile. Many people choose to skip their profile information instead of relying on good pictures and a catchy headline to make them match. This is a beginner’s mistake—a great profile will include every piece of information! In addition, a completed profile makes you seem more like a “real” person, which makes you much more attractive to any potential partners.
- Keep Your Profile Up to Date. Life changes, so your profile should too! Changes can be anything from what you’re looking for in a partner to your hobbies and day-to-day activities. Whatever these changes are, you should make sure that they’re reflected in your profile. This will reduce the number of things you have to explain later on while connecting you with people who are compatible with your current lifestyle.
You might also be interested in: 25 Dating Apps To Try If You Are In A Dating Slump [Guide]