Banner Image Credit: Patrick Schneider
Did you know that you are made up of energy? It's true. And you are constantly exerting, absorbing and converting energy too. It's not something you can necessarily see or feel, but energy is always around you and within you.
There's also a correlation between your chakras (aka seven specific energy centers in your body) and your overall well-being and happiness.
So, are your chakras blocked? And if so, how do you open them?
What is a Chakra?
The word "chakra" translates to "wheel" or "disk." Essentially, a chakra is a spinning wheel of energy located in your body. You have seven major chakras in your body, starting at the base of your spine and ending at the top of your head.
Your chakras can become "blocked" or out of balance from certain life events, traumas or beliefs. Think about when a cord to an electronic gets too bent, cutting off the electricity. The same goes for the energy inside your body.
The root chakra is the first of the seven chakras, located at the base of the spine. It is recognized as the color red.
The root chakra governs:
- Your basic needs as a human — food, water, shelter.
- Feeling grounded.
- Feeling stable in your environment.
- Feeling secure in your body and finances.
Ways to open your root chakra:
- Jump up and down.
- Go for a walk, jog or hike outside.
- Give/get yourself a foot massage.
- Stand barefoot in the grass, sand, dirt, etc.
- Sit or lay on the ground and simply be still.
- Wear the color red.
- Eat red foods (tomatoes, apples, peppers, strawberries).
- Repeat the affirmation, "I trust that I am always supported."
The sacral chakra is the second chakra in your energy system and is located below your belly button, where your reproductive organs live. It is recognized as the color orange.
The sacral chakra governs:
- Your "pleasure center," physically and emotionally.
- Your ability to move fluidly through life and change with ease.
- Your ability to experience pleasure and lean into your desires or passions.
Ways to open your sacral chakra:
- Drink warm water.
- Take a long shower or bath with essential oils.
- Hula hoop.
- Low abdominal exercises.
- Sexy time with yourself or a partner.
- Dance with your hips.
- Wear the color orange.
- Eat orange foods (orange, bell pepper, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin).
- Repeat the affirmation, "I deserve pleasure in my life."
Solar Plexus Chakra
The solar plexus chakra is the third chakra in your energy system, located three inches above your belly button, and is your power center. It is recognized as the color yellow.
The solar plexus chakra governs:
- Your willpower, drive, personal power and self-discipline.
- Your ability to own your desires and accomplish your dreams and goals.
- Your confidence to take action and be unapologetically yourself.
Ways to open your solar plexus chakra:
- Change up your routine. Take a different route to work, eat something different for breakfast, try a new workout class.
- Learn a new skill.
- Do high-intensity workouts or core-specific exercises.
- Take action on an idea you've let sit for too long.
- Wear the color yellow.
- Eat yellow foods (banana, bell pepper, lemon, turmeric, corn)
- Repeat the mantra, "I own all parts of me."
Your fourth chakra is the heart chakra, located at your heart center. It is recognized as the color green.
The heart chakra governs:
- Self-love and self-compassion.
- Your ability to love and show compassion to others.
- Healthy boundaries in relationships.
Ways to open your heart chakra:
- Try heart-opening yoga flows or meditations.
- Try stretches for your chest, shoulder and upper back.
- Write a list of everything you're grateful for.
- Wear the color green.
- Eat green foods (spinach, kale, kiwi, lime, avocado, cucumber).
- Repeat the mantra "I give and receive love freely."
The throat chakra is the fifth chakra in your energy system, located at your throat. It is recognized as the color blue.
The throat chakra governs:
- Speaking your truth.
- Communicating clearly.
- Expressing your creativity.
- Being an active and present listener.
Ways to open your throat chakra:
- Share something vulnerable with someone.
- Paint, draw, color, create.
- Speak up and share your thoughts in a meeting, with friends, or with family.
- Neck stretches.
- Wear the color blue.
- Eat blue foods (blueberries).
- Repeat the mantra, "My voice matters."
Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra is the sixth chakra in your energy system, located at the space between your eyebrows. It is recognized as the color indigo.
The third eye chakra governs:
- Trusting your intuition.
- Your ability to see yourself and others clearly.
- Your imagination.
- Your ability to question.
Ways to open your third eye chakra:
- Research the meaning of your dreams or your horoscope.
- Place a hot or cold towel over your forehead.
- Notice signs or synchronicities in your day.
- Wear the color indigo.
- Repeat the mantra, "I listen to and trust my intuition."
The seventh chakra of your energy system is your crown, located at the top of your head. It is recognized as the color purple or white.
The crown chakra governs:
- Embracing a higher power.
- Connection to God, the universe and all beings.
- Your ability to think and to question.
Ways to open your crown chakra:
- Sit, walk or lay with the sun on your head/face.
- Ask for higher guidance and direction.
- Create a vision board.
- Daydream about your future.
- Try activating breathwork.
- Read a daily devotional.
- Wear the color purple or white.
- Repeat the mantra "I trust in the process of life."
There you have it, you being of energy you. This should give you a general sense of which chakras may already be open for you and which may need a little TLC. Have fun diving in, and if you want even more guidance, check out this 7-week chakra course VIBE UP.
You might also be interested in: How To Start A Journaling Routine [And All The Benefits]