Smartwatches are incredibly convenient and great arm candy for your wardrobe. But, with so many options out there, it can be difficult to decide which one is the best for you.
There are a few things to consider when buying a smartwatch.
- Price: First and foremost, are you getting your money’s worth?
- Shape and size: Your watch must fit well on your wrist and not feel too big or too clunky. After all, you will be wearing them all day.
- Battery-life: It is difficult to pin down a good estimate of battery life on a smartwatch because many factors go into it. For instance, if you listen to music a lot during the day, or if you have an always-on display, your battery will drain quicker than if you don’t. Smart watch manufacturers give extensive ranges in their battery life expectancy. Expect your battery life to be towards the lower end of the estimates if you know it will be active throughout the day.
- Apps and Features: Some smartwatches come with LTE, which means they can be used in place of the phone, and some don’t, so your phone needs to be close by. To get the most out of your smartwatch, you should get one that is compatible with the apps and phone that you currently use.
- Appearance: You need to like the way it looks. You’re the one that has to look at it all day long!
Below are the 6 best smartwatches of 2020.
The "Smartest" Smartwatches
These watches do everything. They offer a ton of features and serve as fitness trackers as well as cell phone replacements. They also look good doing it.
Apple Watch Series 5
- Price: Starts at $399 - price increases if you want to add cellular data or other features.
- Shape and Size: The Apple Watch Series 5 is rectangular in shape and has a slim, sleek design like all the other Apple watches.
- The Look: This watch has tons of customizable face options and a huge variety of bands available. Choose from 4 different materials for the face case. With all the different options, you can create a design exclusively for you.
- Compatibility: iOS only, Apple Pay and Siri
- Battery Life: Up to 18 hours
- Apps and Features: This watch has two main purposes. It serves as a fitness tracker and a cell phone replacement. When you purchase the LTE version of the watch, you do not need to have your phone nearby to access features like text messaging, emails and phone calls. The watch will do it for you. It comes with an extensive list of fitness apps, including a heart monitor, a menstrual cycle tracker and an activity monitor that reminds you when you need to get up and move. Other fun features include a never sleep face display, GPS, compass and water resistance to 50 meters. This watch can withstand the waves in the ocean so you can enjoy your vacation and track your calories burned while doing it.
Samsung Galaxy Active 2
- Price: Starts at $299 - similar to the Apple watch, price increases with add-ons.
- Shape and Size: The Samsung Galaxy Active 2 is a slim sleek watch with a round face.
- The Look: This watch also has lots of customizable face options and comes in stainless steel or aluminum. You can choose from a variety of band materials to create your own look and feel.
- Compatibility: Android and iOS, Samsung Pay, Bixby Voice
- Battery Life: 2-5 days
- Apps and Features: This smartwatch uses the Samsung health app. It has a heart monitor and activity tracker as well as a sleep tracker with recommendations for how to get a better night’s sleep. The Samsung Galaxy Active 2 has LTE so it does not need to be paired with your phone to receive calls, emails and texts. It is water-resistant.
The Best Smartwatches for Fitness Junkies
These smartwatches are made for tracking your health. You may not be able to use them in place of your cell phone, but if you just need something small and versatile to monitor your daily health and motivate you through your fitness routine, these are for you.
Fitbit Versa 2
- Price: $199
- Shape and Size: The Fitbit Versa 2 is a slim watch with a square face. The look is similar to the Apple watch.
- The Look: It comes in five different colors, with two special edition versions that cost a bit more.
- Compatibility: iOS and Android, Fitbit Pay and Alexa
- Battery Life: 6 days
- Apps and Features: The Fitbit Versa 2 is primarily a fitness tracker although you can store up to 300 songs on it and receive push notifications from your phone with access to some phone apps via Bluetooth when the phone is nearby. It has a heart rate tracker, sleep tracker, menstrual tracker, an always-on display option and is water-resistant.
- Price: $275
- Shape and Size: The Fossil Sport has a round slim face and comes in two sizes for men and women.
- The Look: You can purchase multiple interchangeable bands and dial colors, making it the most customizable.
- Compatibility: Android and iOS, Google Pay
- Battery Life: Up to 48 hours
- Apps and Features: The Fossil Sport watch is totally waterproof (you can swim with it!). It uses the Google Wear OS and has a heart monitor, fitness tracker and GPS. It does not have LTE, but it does have Bluetooth, so you need to be near your phone to access text and email.
The Best Smartwatches (That Don’t Look Like Smartwatches_
Smart watch features are great, but you don’t want your wrist to look like something out of Tron. You like the look of your traditional watch but wish it did more. Here are some clever smartwatches that don’t look like smartwatches.
Samsung Galaxy Smart Watch
- Price: $269
- Shape and Size: The Samsung Galaxy Smartwatch is a little heavier than the other smartwatches but still only weighs 2.88 ounces. It comes in two sizes and has a round face.
- The Look: Looks and feels like a traditional analog watch. It has a more limited selection of band choices than the previously mentioned watches and comes in three metal choices. It also has a customizable face.
- Compatibility: Android and iOS, Samsung Pay
- Battery Life: Up to 4 days
- Apps and Features: This watch has an always-on display, fitness tracker, heart monitor, rest and sleep monitor and GPS. It is water-resistant and has LTE so you can use it in place of your phone.
- Price: $249
- Shape and Size: The TicWatch Pro has a round face.
- The Look: This watch has right side turn dials like old-school watches. It comes with a hybrid leather band that is leather on the outside and silicone on the inside.
- Compatibility: Android and iOS
- Battery Life: 2-5 days with an optional lower power LCD display that will extend battery life to 30 days!
- Apps and Features: It uses Google’s Wear OS, has a heart rate tracker, fitness tracker, GPS, and it’s water-resistant. It does not have LTE so you need to have your phone near you to access your features.
Smartwatches make lovely gifts. Have you been good this year? Maybe Santa will bring you one for Christmas, so be sure to add it to your wish list.
If you are shopping for yourself, there will inevitably be great deals on smartwatches before the holidays, so keep checking back and happy shopping.